This holiday season, New Dream has embarked on a pilot campaign to promote experiential gift giving and receiving as a way to increase happiness and well-being. We’ve created a variety of resources to help make giving and receiving experiential gifts easy and fun.
Check out our resources below, and be inspired!
- Research linking experiences to happiness and well-being
- Personal, unique, and fun experiential gift ideas
- Sample experiential wishlist (note the calendar function to help schedule experiential gifts)
- Useful language to help you share your experiential wishlist: Dear family and friends, Every year around this time, I get asked what I want or need for the winter holidays. I found this cool website called SoKind to help me list and share what I want. This year, I am requesting experiences rather than “stuff,” as research shows that spending time with friends and family and out in nature increases happiness and well-being. Please don’t feel obligated to get me anything off the wishlist, but think of it as a starting point to learn more about my hobbies and interests. You should make a list of activities, too – and share it with me! Maybe this will be a new tradition??? Sincerely, [your name]
- Sample experiential gift checklist:
- For example, giving a culinary experience:
- Recipe: Indian Aloo Gobi
- Shopping list:
- Spices: coriander, ginger, garlic, cumin seed, salt, garam masala
- Vegetables: 1 onion, 1 head of cauliflower, 3 potatoes, 2 cans of tomatoes, 1 green chili
- Naan bread
- Music playlist
- Flowers for the table: red roses, yellow marigolds, prickly xanthiums